Preparing For Vasectomy Reversal: Pre-Operative and Post-Operative procedure care instructions
- Have a light breakfast the morning of the procedure. Do not drink coffee the morning of the procedure.
- Shave the scrotum and take a shower the morning of the procedure.
- Bring the bottle of Xanax and Vicodin (hydrocodone) with you to the office. You will take both these medications in the office prior to the procedure.
- Bring an athletic supporter with you to the office
- Do not take aspirin, ibuprofen, or other pain relief medications that can thin the blood, for at least a week before the surgery.
- Apply ice bag to scrotum for 10 minutes on, then 10 minutes off, for the first two hours after the vasectomy reversal. Repeat in the next 3-4 days in the evenings
- Wear an athletic supporter for 2 full weeks
- Shower the next day and clean operative site with soap and water
- No strenuous work for 3 weeks
- No sexual intercourse for 3 weeks after the reversal
- Tylenol for pain on post-operative days 1 and 2, then ibuprofen as needed
- Vicodin 1 pill every 6 hours as needed for pain
- Doxycycline 100mg 1 pill twice daily for 14 days.
- Return to the office in 1 month for follow-up and further instructions
- Obtain a semen analysis in 3 months
- Call Metrowest Urology (508-655-4422) 2 days after submitting the semen sample
Have A Question About Procedure Care Instructions?
Ask The Doctor